Saturday, January 1, 2011

January 1, 2011 (or How Not To Start The New Year)

Rainy and mild. I figured the rain had washed the pavement enough so ran Rivet there rather than on grass.

Rivet
















DistanceR+SprayNotesSuccess
300 ft5-10 footstepsMist, knee heightShe did beautifully through the first two legs, despite the building, curbs, and trees. At the second turn she got lost and wouldn't restart. I should have pulled her off track at this point. Instead I tried to restart her on the last leg, thinking it would be an easy way to end on a good note. She couldn't do that leg either - quit just before the end - so I put her away.50% (average of 100% + 0%)



Caiman














DistanceR+NotesSuccess
37 ft1 per footstep27 footsteps on pavement and then 10 on grass. I hoped that the regular treats on pavement would get him into the idea of looking for the next one immediately under the nose. He was unable to keep working without significant help, even on pavement, and so I pulled him off track when we got to the grass.20%

3 comments:

  1. Just out of curiousity, you should run it again and lay the second leg longer or shorter. Conditions will be different but it looks like a lot happening on that second turn. I might make it longer, personally and get more to the center of that building, which could hold scent more. Just before the end of the row of shrubs maybe? Or run it backwards, start at the end, next time. I like doing this, because it helps me learn about conditions that may affect scent. Maybe Rivet was saying, Mom, scent is circling too much here? I don't know, and weather will be different. But if you lay the same tracks over enough in the same locations you will start to see patterns. At least you are out! I am not, but hope to this month. It's been too cold, blah. !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually I was thinking of trying it without the turn next time - just continue straight past that point and end on the sidewalk further down the building. Can't now though - we've had more snow and the place is liberally sprinkled with ice melting crystals. It will have to wait.

    I have to say that I don't miss the cold there one little bit. You have my sympathy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's nice blog I have really enjoyed keeping up with you on this blog.This is very useful post for everyone.we get Dog training Memphis service for off leash training. Daniel Spooner, Memphis Dog Training Experts.

    ReplyDelete