Saturday, January 8, 2011

January 8, 2011. 11am-ish

I was unable to move my vehicle today so just messed around near the house. More fresh snow - we have about 6" total now - with some people and vehicle tracks but mostly unbroken snow (or shoveled areas with fresh snowfall over top).

I decided that Rivet did well enough last outing that I could up the criteria faster than 80%. First time working out of the house and she was up and eager and clearly knew what the game was.
Rivet























DistanceR+SprayNotesSuccess
30 treats3-6 footstepsnoneSidewalks, driveways, and road. Missed one treat at second sidewalk when she briefly followed another dog's track (parallel and within 2' of mine).90%
30 treats5-10 footsteps"Checked other tracks but always came back to my track on her own. Biggest distraction was on the road and a truck had driven across after I laid the track. Interesting!80%


I tried something different with Caiman today after asking some friends for advice because he consistantly skips treats. One suggestion was to try a short track with no food on it and to heavily reward at an article at the end. I used a toy rather than an article. All his tracks were clearly shuffled into fresh snow.
Caiman


























DistanceR+NotesSuccess
10 short stepsnoneToy and treats at the end of straight track. Beautiful! He showed a clear preference for the toy but was willing to eat the treats to humour me.90%
15 short steps"Toy only at end. Again he started eagerly, kept his head down, and went straight to the toy.95%
20 short steps"Gradual curve. He lifted his head once but put it back down again before I had time to try to stop our forward movement.80%


I did up a quick map of Rivet's tracks to figure out approximate distances. The corners were all curves, no hard angles, and you'll have to imagine 6" of snow over everything.
Usually I have a basic plan before I begin. This was not what I intended to do today and on both of Rivet's tracks laid them so that I was not able to easily get back to the beginning without contaminating them. Oops!

No comments:

Post a Comment