Thursday, March 4, 2010

Winter break

We've had to take an extended break because of winter. In this area they spread road salt on all the parking lots I was using. I'm not willing to risk exposing Rivet to that much salt - not on her feet and definately not on the treats we still use heavily - so we've had to take time off.

It was hard to stay motivated so I've not done as much work on articles as I could have. That said she is now at the point where she knows that a new item tossed on the ground near her is a cue to lie down and touch it with her nose, and she's able to look for the next one in the immediate area if I pick up the one she's using. Inside, anyway... Next we take it to other locations and have her start looking for the item beyond the immediate area. So far she's seen plastic (yogurt lids), metal (a spoon), leather, and cardboard. I intend to add some rolled up socks, a metal tin, and a plastic container (not the lid) in the near future.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tracy - why not the lid of a plastic container? They are frequently used as articles in urban tests for CKC...ziploc and margarine container lids. Is there a reason you aren't using one? I am curious. Glad to see you back out! Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Donna! The yogurt lids I mentioned are flat plastic lids. I have a couple of them so far. I think I'm going to add a squashed plastic water bottle and a ruined DVD too.

    ReplyDelete